Tooth-Colored Fillings – Chesapeake, VA
Seamlessly Repair Decayed Teeth
According to one estimate, about 90% of adults over the age of 20 have had at least one dental cavity. Left untreated, cavities can lead to severe oral health complications. The good news is that in most cases, it is easy to seamlessly repair decayed teeth with tooth-colored fillings. What is involved in this restorative treatment, and why is it so beneficial? This page explains.
Why Choose Troisi Dentistry for Tooth-Colored Fillings?
- Beautiful, Seamless Tooth Repair
- Mercury-Free Cavity Repair
- Highly Skilled and Empathetic Dental Team
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
The purpose of a dental filling is to fill in a spot of decay in a tooth, thereby stopping the decay from spreading and protecting the tooth’s inner layers from outside stimuli. In the past, dentists always had to use silver amalgam to repair cavities. Unfortunately, the amalgam had a dark, unattractive color. It also contained quite a bit of mercury.
Tooth-colored fillings are different. They are composed of a composite resin material, which has a number of biocompatible ingredients in it. They blend in seamlessly with the natural color of teeth, and they have the potential to last for several years.
The Process of Getting a Tooth-Colored Filling
The process of getting a tooth-colored filling is fast and relatively comfortable. It usually goes like this:
- First, we make sure you are comfortable. In some cases, we use local anesthetic to numb the area where we will be working. In other instances, no numbing is necessary.
- We carefully remove decayed tissue from within the cavity.
- We insert the composite resin and use a special curing light to harden it in a matter of seconds.
- We adjust the filling so it will not interfere with your bite or adversely affect the way your mouth looks and feels.
A filling appointment usually lasts less than an hour, and you will be able to go back to your normal routine right after you leave our office.
The Benefits of Tooth-Colored Fillings
Tooth-colored fillings offer some outstanding benefits:
- No metal or mercury. Many patients are concerned about the potential side effects of having metal in their mouth. They are especially alarmed by the presence of mercury, which is known to be toxic. Tooth-colored fillings are metal-free.
- We can shade-match your fillings so they blend in seamlessly with the natural color of your teeth.
- Tooth-colored fillings may last for well over 5 years before they need to be replaced.
Reduced reactivity to temperature changes. The metal-free composition of tooth-colored fillings means they do not conduct temperatures very well, so they can protect your teeth from unwanted sensitivity. They also do not expand and contract very much in response to temperature changes, so they are unlikely to harm your teeth.